Sunday, February 10, 2013

Red linings

I am still working within the community recovery for a few more days, until the situation winds down. It is amazing to learn what each individual considers as hardship. There is a person who has severe depression, lives in a flooded and muddy caravan, has lost everything except her dog, and who is responsible for caring her elderly, sick parents, and then there is person who complains about her pool getting so dirty in the storm that she is entitled to goverment assistance to get it cleaned. I am speechless.
I am getting excited about the art therapy studies. I looked through the list of readings, and oh my, it is a long list......

Here is an image of juicy succulent leaves from my backyard (before the storms).

Copyright Kirsi Reinikka 2013

2 comments:

  1. Volunteering in such a situation might be quite hard job. However, so important. Beautiful, beautiful leaves...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The job I am doing is not too hard because most of the clients I am meeting have not experienced huge losses, just uncomfortable powercuts leading to lost food, broken fridges etc. I have not worked in real crisis area yet. Maybe one day. I heard experienced emergency workers talking about their previous experiences when they assisted people who had their houses washed away. The clients had started crying every few minutes and it had been really hard for the workers - both technically to complete the assessments, and also emotionally. Devastated clients all day through, client after client, day after day. So yes, the work can be really hard.

    ReplyDelete